Sunday 11 October 2009

Period of Absence

For those who’re regular followers of my blog, it’s perhaps been noticeable that there has been a definite lack of postings over the last couple of months. An indication perhaps that I’ve been seemingly constantly on the move in that time - literally. Since my last post at the end of July, I’ve been on 10 planes, and have 2 more to go this week. Not a good carbon footprint, I’m afraid, though rather typical it seems of working in an international setting.
Some of the highlights of that time have been:
• Having the opportunity to work for a month in the International Finance department at SIL International headquarters in Dallas, Texas.
• The number of people I knew in Dallas, either because they’re normally, or have been, based in Nairobi, or through workshops in Nairobi, Togo or Cameroon. It made my time there seem like home from home.
• Experiencing a rodeo for the first time (I thought the guys riding the bucking broncos and bulls were completely mad!).
• A day visiting the sights of Fort Worth, Texas. Botanical gardens, the water gardens (when we finally found them), and the Stockyard area (definitely cowboy country!).
• Having the opportunity to meet with friends in California and Pennsylvania, given that I was in the neighbourhood (relatively speaking!).
• A bonus weekend with family in the UK, en route back to Nairobi from the US.
• A picnic lunch with my Nairobi church home group by the dam that provides the home of a couple in the group with water. Great people and an amazing setting.
• Meeting with people in Bamako, Mali and Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso. • An evening of traditional Burkinabe dancing and music at the French Cultural Centre in Ouagadougou. So energetic – and in this heat!!!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Claire, are you the Claire that I know from St Catz, Oxford? Is Helen also in the picture? Steven Fung

Anonymous said...

Steven,
Not sure if you'll see this but if you do - yes, this is the same Claire that you know from Catz. Long time!
Helen isn't in the picture. She lives in Addis Ababa now. She and I seem to have a habit of just missing each other in our travels.
Claire

Unknown said...

you can email me at stevenbefung@gmail.com