Friday 9 December 2011

Unexpected Creatures

Even driving around Nairobi, seeing wildlife becomes relatively normal, though no less special. Rhino, buffalo, giraffe, warthog, baboon on the way out to Karen to go for church, flute lesson or home group; camels and cows in the neighbourhood where I live, and being herded along the side of the road; monkeys in the compound;.....
In the last few weeks, I seem to have come across some other kinds of creatures in unexpected places a number of times. Doing some ‘gardening’ on the balcony of my 2nd floor flat, I came across at least 20 small slugs covering a bag of compost and surreptitiously making their way towards my plants, with a bunch of white eggs which were clearly another 20 or so slugs waiting to hatch.
Coming back to the office from lunch break on Wednesday (having found a brilliant yellow and black bug of some sort on one of my plants), the askari (guard) was poking something with a stick in the drain. I expected it to be a snake or something of that nature, but found instead that it was a hedgehog (unsurprisingly all curled up in a ball)! The first time he or I had seen one here
And yesterday, in the office, there was a giant grasshopper flitting around, which sounded a bit like an electrical appliance sparking. It eventually landed on my backpack, and I was able to release him back to the outdoors.

No comments: