Friday 30 March 2012

Things I’ll miss about Kenya…….and things I won’t!

In 12 days’ time, I fly to the UK where I’ll be based for the next 5 months, principally to put on my other hat of communications and marketing person, to reconnect with my supporters there, and hopefully build up some more financial support in order to come back to Nairobi in September. Having spent 8.5 of the last 9 years based in Kenya (I had a 7-month furlough in 2007), it’s a very strange thought to be upping sticks for that period of time (particularly as I’ll be continuing the work that I do here, just remotely). However, it will be good to see friends and family, and to see them hopefully more than just once during a trip home! I’ve been in the process this last week of packing up my flat, emptying out various cupboards and drawers, so that it’s available for others to sub-let while I’m gone. In all of this transition, I’ve been reflecting on what I will and won’t miss about life here, these next few months.

I will miss:
 The climate! In Nairobi, it’s always summer, be that a good English summer, or a bad English summer.
 People. Lots of wonderful people, some of whom, sadly, will have left for good by the time I come back.
 Nairobi Orchestra. 3 performances in the next couple of months!! My challenge is going to be keeping my practice up while I’m gone (and living a fairly nomadic lifestyle) so that I can have my regular place back when I return!
 The countryside. Stunning, and so varied.
 Bird and animal life. (Nothing quite like seeing giraffe at the side of the road, looking out at a Hartlaub turaco on a bird table when working at a friend’s house, or feeding the bushbabies that come to their garden every night!)
 Though inflation is high here (currently 16%), life is generally much more affordable than in the UK.
 Being able to eat outdoors all year round.

I won't miss:
* The dust and pollution.
* The traffic and others' driving. Gridlock rather too often, and people then thoughtlessly making it worse in their attempt to get ahead.
* Being stared at regularly.
* Security issues.

I know that I could come up with more, if I were to give it much thought. However, it is good to see that the first list is longer than the second, and that's probably a good place to stop!

 

No comments: