Sunday 25 May 2014

Matumbato Potholes

Each time I’ve visited the UK over the last few years, I’ve had various people tell me about the potholes there. Admittedly, I don’t spend that much time there and haven’t driven on every road (!), but I’m not sure that I could say that I’ve seen any real potholes! Perhaps a few places where the edge of the road was breaking up a bit, or the occasional ‘dimple’ in the road surface. Nairobi on the other hand…. Whilst Nairobi roads are a lot better than you’d find elsewhere across this Continent (driving in the DRC is quite an artform!), potholes quickly form, and then turn into craters (which are then left that way for varying periods of time). My own road has certainly been that way. With all the road construction in the area (for 2 years now!), involving the digging up of tarmacked road surfaces (and not much in the way of relaying tarmac!), the main traffic through the area has been diverted along Matumbato. Hence, the road surface has deteriorated faster than it normally would. Within about 200 metres of my gate, there must been in the region of 20-30 craters in the road, requiring cars to take a slalom course in order to avoid the worst of them, or occupants being thrown around in the car when that wasn’t possible (with who knows what damage to the car’s suspension and shock abosorbers). One spanned the entire width of the road, and was on a bend, making it additionally difficult to negotiate. On one occasion, I was behind a car that had been forced to go across it, due to traffic coming the other way. With his front wheels in the hole, he then faced a problem of how to get out again!
The other day, I walked along that section of road with my camera, trying to capture the scale of the problem. I don’t think the photos give a true picture, but at least offer some idea of what a potholed road really looks like!
Bizarrely, within a week of my taking them, repair work started (maybe I should have taken my camera out sooner?), with workers breaking up rocks to fill them, and presumably at a later stage, tarmac being put over the top. I wonder if that’ll be the case along the entire length of the road – there are many more craters going the other way! 






Just outside my gate

Work started to repair the road outside the office gate. Not sure how long it'll last!

1 comment:

Bob A said...

Ahhh, Nairobi potholes. There's one on the Waiyaki Way slipway (just east of the Toyota dealership) that's been there for at least a couple of decades. "Volunteers" occasionally fill it with dirt that I'm sure comes from digging new potholes somewhere else. I though it was quite interesting that the potholes in your 3rd and 4th pictures were shaped like the African continent. Symbolic?