Friday 18 July 2014

Travels en Afrique

Observations on my Ethiopian flights from Ouaga to Nairobi yesterday:-
1. Little difference between matatu and plane passengers with regard to the notion of queuing to get on the means of transport! A bit of a scrum to get on. I kept finding myself at the back!!!
2. No preference given to the elderly or those with children.
3. As a female traveller, I was very much in the minority.
4. Such a variety of nationalities and cultures (with associated dress) represented.
5. All seemngly carrying more hand luggage than the baggage allowance. We spent at least 20 extra minutes on the ground in Ouaga while the stewardesses attempted to get everyone's hand luggage in the overhead compartments, or convince passengers to put their smaller bags underneath the seat in front of them.
6. Best to carry own snacks. (I did.)
7. Best to have own entertainment. (I did.)

It was a long journey - 16 hours door to door. A stop in Niamey to pick noone up and drop noone off (!), though they wheeled up the stairway anyway, and a change of planes in Addis.

No comments: