Thursday 28 October 2010

Creative Plumbing

I’m not sure if I’ve ever seen anything quite like this creation that has appeared on my bath taps before. It’s not perhaps the most beautiful of creations, and is perhaps more appropriate for behind the scenes rather than on display, but it is very practical, and will prove, I’m sure, to provide a great convenience, because of what it allows me to do.
I bought a washing machine this week after 7 years in my apartment without. So, why did it take so long? Well, principally because there is a communal washing machine in a small building on the ground floor. There used to be a tumble dryer there too. Actually, I think there still is - just that it ripped a few of my clothes and put dirty marks on other things, so I’ve stopped using it. That building is fed from the mains rather than from the water tanks, so often times, there’s no water and you have to fill the machine with buckets. In times of very sporadic water supply, I’ve thought before of getting my own washer, but could never quite figure out where it would go. However, on coming back in September, I found that the communal one wasn’t working at all, and 7 weeks later, still isn’t. After many trips to a friend’s house to use her washer (thank you Jill!!), I figured it really was time I got one, and whilst the space issue hasn’t changed any, it’s now installed in my bathroom. The next question was how to plumb it in. Not a question I’ve needed to face before as both of my houses in the UK have been modern, and came with all the pipes (and indeed allocated space in the kitchen) in situ for such a necessary household appliance. However, here that’s not quite how it is. In fact, on making my purchase, I was told at the shop that of course washing machines should be installed outdoors not inside. Well, that’s certainly not the case in colder climes where the water would freeze for part of the year! That must be a throwback to when all washing was done outside, and by hand (and still is in the majority of homes in the city), in the river or whatever source of water there is.
To install it in my kitchen would have meant needing to completely redesign it, plus the cupboard bases are concrete, and the cold water comes from the mains, so is generally just a trickle. Certainly not enough for a washer. Hence, it’s in the bathroom, taking up a good proportion of the floor space. The creation was put together with various bits of galvanized iron pipe from a plumbing supplier, …… and, it seems, liberal amounts of a pretty horrid-looking putty substance, to allow the attachment of the washer hose to the shower attachment (whilst still allowing me to have showers!). And it does in fact work as I’ve already tested it out. The only downside that I’ve discovered is that it has to be plugged in in another room, and the electric cable doesn’t fit underneath the door. So, when the washer’s on, the bathroom door can’t be closed. Not a problem when I’m on my own, but it could prove interesting when visitors are here!!

1 comment:

paulmerrill said...

So glad you got a proper washing machine, Claire.

It has been fun to catch up on your blog after a week or so out of access-to-internet range.