Saturday 23 October 2010

Orchids Galore!

When people think about Kenya, they most likely think of the Big Five, safaris, Big Cat Diary, poverty, aid, …. Living here, I’ve come across all the above, but I also have opportunity to experience a different side. Nairobi is an exceedingly cosmopolitan city that is full of contrasts. Today, in this city in a Third world country, I went to an Orchid Show held by Kenya’s Orchid Society! According to an entry on the internet,  “The Kenya Orchid Society was established in 1953 to create and increase interest in orchids and their cultivation throughout Kenya and other East African countries. Membership is open to any person already in possession of at least 15 orchid plants, who is proposed and seconded by members and approved by the committee.” Hmm, well that’s me disqualified from joining!
Anyway, the show was held at the Exhibition Centre at Sarit, one of the older shopping centres here. There were various displays putting across different messages about the environment (the theme was ‘Orchids for a Greener World’), but for me it was the orchids themselves that were the focus. I had no idea that there are so many different varieties, and of so many sizes, shapes and colours. Each one so intricately designed and beautiful. Sadly, I had somehow forgotten to take my phone with me (which is very, very unusual here), so couldn’t take any photographs. However, there was a stall selling orchids imported from Taiwan, so I bought one (rather more expensive than the ones in Sainsbury’s in the UK!!), and here it is. I’m just hoping that It survives and flourishes as well as the ones my parents have in their conservatory.

No comments: