Sunday 17 October 2010

Messy Eaters!

I’ve talked about the birds on my balcony a number of times, and I’m about to again! Since I took to feeding them on a regular basis, I’ve noticed that they have decidedly messy eating habits. In tucking into a plateful of leftover rice or millet side, they seemed to toss a good portion of it to the side. Not I think because it was substandard, but because that’s just the way they eat. Whist in the UK, I decided to purchase a seed feeder in the naïve assumption that this would save on this mess. However, whilst observing some birds with a friend from a bird hide in Warnham Nature Reserve, I realized the naivety of this assumption, as I saw seed dropping all over the place. And sure enough, that’s what’s been happening. It took a few weeks though before seeing the full effect as it took the birds themselves a while to figure out that this cylindrical object contained good things! Now, I have a balcony that has a fairly liberal sprinkling of seed on it, and plant pots that are bringing forth an abundance of millet and sunflower plants!!! What’s more, there are bird wars being waged over the 4 feeding holes in the container!

No comments: